Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the last month and a half I’m sure you are aware of how relentless this Ellensburg winter has been. In my four years at the university, this winter has been the worst one by far. And unlike many of the universities on the west side of Washington our campus doesn’t exactly shut down very easily. So how do we survive? How do we make it through this winter without going insane. Here 8 some tips I have for the students of CWU.1. Get a truck. If that’s unreasonable, get a friend with a truck or all wheel drive. If we get two feet of snow overnight, the odds that class is canceled is slim to none. So, how are you going to be able to get to class? You could walk… but if you don’t want to be late to class you may want to have someone you can call up if you get stuck in, I don’t know, a ditch or something. If it wasn’t for my extremely helpful boyfriend, I would probably been fired from my job and failing all of my classes because I’m lucky if I can get my car out of my driveway in this weather. So reach out to anyone who may be able to help you if you find yourself stuck in a rut.
2. If you do try to drive, drive safe. And by drive safe I mean, SLOW THE HECK DOWN, increase your following distance, and give your car plenty of time to warm up in the morning. Don’t put yourself and those around you at risk by driving in conditions that you know you aren’t equipped to take on. This weather is dangerous enough as it is, so ensure that you are being safe.
3.Communicate with your professors. Most of the professors I have had at CWU are, at least, somewhat reasonable. So if you are ever unable to make it to campus take some time to email your professors and explain the situation. You can then try and work out something with your professor to get caught up on any material you might have miss out on. And in the case that they are unreasonable, refer back to tip number one.
4. Get yourself some snow gear! Snow boots are extremely helpful when there’s usually about 2 feet of snow on campus so invest in a good pair. Because trust me, they will become a staple of your wardrobe every winter quarter. And don’t forget to wear all the layers so you can keep warm to and from your classes and other activities throughout the day.
5. Stay active! It is so easy to get depressed in the cold winter months when we want to lock ourselves in our room and throw away the key. Instead invest in an active hobby (preferably inside) that will keep you moving! For example the gym has an awesome rock wall that is open to all students! But if heights aren’t your thing, then you can always come check out my dance conditioning class on Tuesdays nights at 7:15!! But seriously, whatever it may be do your best to find something to keep yourself active.
6. Don’t allow the winter blues to get you down this season. Spend quality time with your friends and loved ones! Now this is something we should always be doing. But, since we do spend a lot more time inside during the winter, don’t forget to reach out to your friends and spend all that time inside with someone else. We are all suffering through this winter together, so be miserable in the presence of those who you love!
7. SPRING BREAK WILL EVENTUALLY COME. With spring break a little over a month away plan something that you can look forward to! Get wild and go to Vegas and spend money you don’t have on things you don’t need! Or if that isn’t in the cards for you, you can always look forward to simply having time off of school. Try to stay positive and know that winter can’t last forever…
8. If all else fails you can always complain about it on Twitter. Maybe that can help you get rid of some of your pent up aggression. This tactic seem to be good enough for the guy running our country, and if they’re good enough for him then they’re good enough for you.
I hope some of these tips can help you this winter! Leave a comment of any other tips that you find helpful!